Thursday, April 11, 2013

Let there be fire...

My dreams came true with our fireplace. (After a bit of work of course) It was BAD. 

This bad:

It screams "help me, it's 1976, and I'm stuck." 
Here was my answer: special black heat-safe paint for the doors (thanks Neal). White paint for the bricks (thanks me). A white mantle (thanks Neal).
As you can see new gorgeous paint on the left and barfy tannish, brown on the right. 


And today:

Yikes. Bad lighting in this photo. 

The best part is that when we moved in it looked like it was a gas fireplace. It didn't work very well. We thought that maybe we could get it fixed in the future, but those gas inserts are expensive, and I didn't actually really know if I wanted one. I love wood burning fireplaces. With all the trees downed in our yard, we had plenty of wood to burn. So we inserted a gas line, put in a log holder, grate thing, so now we have both: a wood burning fireplace that can be started by a gas flame. I love it. All fall and winter it's was so easy to make cozy fires. Neal wants to cover the fireplace in stone. I love it like it is, but it will probably get covered eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment